Assist coaches and skaters in the SkateABLE™ program using the five HIGH FIVE® Principles of Healthy Child Development and the SkateABLE™ standards for program delivery to teach fundamental ice skating skills.
- Provide a fun, safe, and caring environment for skaters to learn
- Assist in teaching fundamental skating skills in a progressive manner
- Facilitate opportunities for skaters’ to play and make new friends
- Provide opportunities for all skaters to have a voice and participate fully
- Provide positive leadership to all skaters in the program
Terms: 1-2 hours per week, seasonal (October – March)
- Skating Background required (figure skating, hockey, speed skating or ringette)
- Valid police clearance check
- Our In-house training includes education in common physical and developmental disabilities and behaviours, and training in how to properly fit and use adaptive skating equipment
Additional Skills Required:
- Interest in and experience working with children with disabilities
- Express a caring attitude when working with children
- Communicate positively and effectively, in a caring and respectful manner to everyone involved in our programs (skaters, coaches, parents, facility staff)
Other Information: Own transportation and coaching certifications an asset. We offer in-depth training for new and returning volunteers. Minimum of three references required.
To register as a volunteer coach, fill out the following form. We will contact you within 48 hours of your submission.